Vacancy: Laboratory ScientistPublished Monday, 9th November 2020
We are looking to recruit a Laboratory Scientist to work with – under the supervision of the Head of Research and Product Development – to help us achieve our vision to develop and market novel diagnostic assays based on miRNA detection to the veterinary and animal health industries. If you think this could be you, please read the full job description and send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com to express an interest.
Job title: Laboratory Scientist
Company: Vetsina Animal Diagnostics Ltd
Line manager: Head of Research and Product Development
Nature of Employment: Full-Time Contract
Vetsina Animal Diagnostics Ltd is a new joint venture, partnering DestiNA Genomics with Roslin Technologies. Our vision is to develop and market novel diagnostic assays based on miRNA detection to the veterinary and animal health industries.
DestiNA Genomics was formed to commercialise a revolutionary chemical-based system for detecting nucleic acids and single nucleotide polymorphisms, for development of simple, fast, accurate and cost-effective products for PCR-free detection of miRNAs in human medicine.
Roslin Technologies is a ‘New Technology Commercialisation Company’ based at Easter Bush Campus, at the centre of the largest concentration of animal science expertise in Europe. The company was created to develop commercial opportunities from the research, know-how, capabilities and intellectual property of The Roslin Institute and the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies.
Vetsina will embark on an ambitious programme to develop several ‘proof of concept’ tests, initially in metabolic disease, oncology and infectious diseases. Completion of this first phase will be followed by rapid scale up of commercial development. We are currently seeking high calibre individuals to join the team and to start working in collaboration with our partners at DestiNA Genomics, the University of Edinburgh and others.
Requirements & Experience
- BSc degree majoring in Molecular Biology or other related subject
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in research and development activities in academic and/or industry roles
- Competency in the use of business software and specialised laboratory software systems
- Experience with laboratory operations
- Knowledge of systems for handling biological samples
- Familiarity with laboratory quality assurance systems
- Multi-lingual capability will be regarded favourably.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, high intensity but flexible and often virtual working environment
- Exceptional project management and problem solving skills: attention to detail, flexibility, and ability to collaborate with others and to work in a fast-paced environment
- Agility, adaptability and ability to understand new concepts
The candidate will work with and under the supervision of the Head of Research and Product Development (HRPD) so as to:
- Plan and agree experiments that will use reagents, analytical and clinical samples, and analytical platforms.
- Prepare all needed materials and equipment for the safe conduct of assays in development.
- Ordering and receipt of necessary reagents for the conduct of experiments.
- Maintain equipment and laboratory space in an orderly and safe manner, including product safety sheets for those materials used in the laboratory.
- Perform agreed experiments and report results to the HRPD and others as necessary, within and outside Vetsina Animal Health Diagnostics (Vetsina) as required.
- Perform all standard molecular diagnostic tests as needed.
- Operate specialised equipment as needed.
- Maintain detailed records, recording all experiments undertaken, results and observations.
- Prepare professional SOPs and Use Protocols for assays
- Work in collaboration and under confidentiality with 3rd party companies providing technology and know-how to Vetsina. In particular this will include liaison with Destina Genomics and its subsidiary in Granada, Spain, where training in the use of its chemical reagents and specialised platforms may be undertaken.
- Be capable of travel and training periods with Destina Genomics in Granada, Spain, which may require short periods of absence from UK.
This is a full-time position, based in Vetsina’s laboratories and offices at the Roslin Innovation Centre, Easter Bush Campus. A flexible approach to working is expected, and there is some requirement for travel. Legal right to work in the UK is a requirement.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, growing organisation. This position will attract a competitive salary, pension and an opportunity to participate in the company’s share scheme.
To express an interest, please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org